17 diciembre, 2009

LINKERS

Read the text and choose the correct linking word or phrase for each gap.

AND    AS SOON AS    WHEN    WHILE   SO    BUT    THEN
It was very windy when I set off from the airport last Monday morning. The sky was full of dark clouds and soon it started to rain heavily. What a great way to start a holiday!
   While I was driving to the airport, the storm got worse. Suddenly, a huge flash of lightning struck a tree. It came crashing down just meters in front of my car. The fallen tree completely blocked the road, so I was stuck. I tried to call the emergency services on my mobile, but the line was dead.
   I was positive that I'd miss my plane, so I turned on the radio and tried to get used to the idea. Soon there was a loud knock at the window. To my surprise it was a young man in leather clothes, "Need a ride?" he said. My plane was leaving in an hour so I didn't think twice. I grabbed my bags, climbed carefully onto the motorcycle and shouted urgently, "To the airport please!"
   It was my first time on a motorcycle so I was terrified. The young man drove so fast that I kept my eyes tightly shut all the way. Suddenly, the motorcycle came to a halt. "We're here!" he said. I looked at my watch and saw that I was just in time for my flight. The young man wished me a nice trip, then quickly sped away.
   As soon as my plane took off, I breathed a huge sigh of relief. I could now relax and enjoy holiday.

No hay comentarios: